Sunday, October 13, 2013

A New Generation of Exchangers...

On Saturday, I went with a group of other exchange students to a city called Vienne, to attend a meeting for (can you believe it?) next year's outbound candidates.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with Rotary lingo, these are students who are going through an interview and application process in the hopes of leaving their native France late next summer, bound for an exciting, challenging year in a foreign country.  That's right, they're the 2014-2015 exchange-students-in-training.

It was absolutely crazy to see a whole new group of future exchange students, who are just beginning an amazing journey (and one that I'm nearly two months into, now!).  It was so strange to think of how far I've come in the past year, and how fast it's going by.  Even more bizarre to think that, a year from now, I'll be back home and these students will all be scattered around the world!

I was lucky enough to get the chance to talk to a couple of students who are thinking about listing the US as a top choice (they have to choose three countries, and only one can be an Anglophone nation).  As usual, it was interesting to see what impressions people had about the US, and how their impressions compare to the actual facts.  I got the chance to explain that it is indeed possible to live in America and not become morbidly obese, and that there actually are other populated parts of the country outside of New York, California, Texas, and Disneyland (the four general areas that people here are familiar with ;)).

My own host sister, Julianne, from my second host family, is hoping to go to South Africa next year, though she still hasn't finalized her application yet.  I'll be wishing her luck on getting her top choice, and possibly help her work through applications when I go to live with her family this winter.

A bientot!

4 comments:

  1. From Mr. Duval's Sociology class:
    Is it a norm to see exchange students in France; aka more than yourself? How about foreigners?

    VA, JA, CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are five exchange students in my school, including me: an Argentinian, a Paraguayan, a Venezuelan, a Thai, and (of course) an American. We get along pretty well and see each other pretty often. I also have other English-speaking exchange students in Lyon, a large city a little over an hour away, who I see whenever I get the chance. There aren't a ton of immigrants in my city, but you certainly can find them around. As I mentioned in another post, there are a lot of Turkish immigrants around here.

      Delete
  2. From Mr. Duval's Sociology class:
    As an exchange student, have you come across any role strains, being an American citizen? How about as a hopeful college student?

    VA. JA, CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's admittedly difficult to represent the US abroad at times, especially in situations when the French are bashing some aspect of the US culture or politics, and, while I might agree more with the French, I feel a certain obligation to explain the logic behind the US policy. Same goes for when the French are bashing the US for something I side with the US on, and it's difficult to explain that I actually see my country's side more than the French side. Also, I always feel like I'm walking a fine line between representing America well, and misrepresenting America. Just as easy as it is for foreigners to watch television, read books, etc and say "All Americans are fat/ lazy/ over-obsessed with sports/ environmentally wasteful/ etc," it's just as easy for them to meet me and say "All Americans are like Emma." In certain situations, I make it very clear that I'm giving my own opinion, not necessarily my country's opinion, and vice versa. Actually, as you live amongst foreigners and exchange students back at home, this is a good thing to keep in mind: one person can represent a country, and act as an ambassador, but it's impossible for a single person to embody all of a country's ideas, perspectives, and opinions.

      Delete